Monday, October 5, 2009

The Health Insurance Trap



Posted by Ka Lee Angel Lee

At the center of the health care debate is a belief among many Americans that our private health insurance system isn't working. If you had asked me a year ago, I would have said that the government shouldn't intervene in health insurance. Fast forward to today, after a cancer diagnosis and four months of chemotherapy, and I have a very different opinion on private health care. This is my story.
I was diagnosed with Seminoma in August of 2008 at the age of 29. Seminoma is a type of testicular cancer that affects one percent of all men, and it is the most common type of cancer among men aged 20 to 35. It is often cured by surgery alone, but advanced disease requires either radiation therapy or chemotherapy in addition. I was unfortunate. By the time I was diagnosed, the cancer had spread to my lymph nodes, so I had to undergo chemotherapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment